When storing flat screen TV’s (LCD or Plasma), electronics or other stereo equipment, 2 major points apply. Temperature is important to be kept between 50-75 degrees F. Electronics do not like the cold so make sure the storage unit does not get below 50 degrees. Humidity is almost as important. It’s critical that your storage unit is not too humid so try to avoid underground or basement storage units. Some self storage places even have units equipped with a dehumidifier feature.
WHEN STORING FLAT SCREEN TV’S:
- If possible keep the original packaging, both the box and Styrofoam packing, this is the best option.
- If original packaging is not available, moving supply vendors and some self storage locations sell flat screen TV boxes with foam packing or Styrofoam peanuts.
- Do not store a flat screen TV on its back, ever! It can damage the internal parts. Store it (and move it) standing up.
WHEN STORING ELECTRONICS LIKE STEREO COMPONENTS, COMPUTERS, ETC:
- As with storing flat screen TV’s, keep the original packaging if possible.
- If original packaging is not available wrap in a thin layer of foam wrap, and place in a box about 11/2 the size of the component and fill with packaging peanuts. You can also use “static free” bags or “static free” bubble wrap sold at self storage locations or moving supply vendors. There should never be bulges or peaks sticking up anywhere on the box. This is damage waiting to happen. Inside the storage unit, place any electronics or TV’s on pallets or some other way to keep them off the floor.
The use of desiccant pouches inside boxes with stored flat screen TV’s or electronics helps remove moisture. Desiccant pouches are filled with silica gel and are usually inside the components when they are shipped from a factory. These pouches can be obtained at an electronics store.
Always seal your cartons with carton sealing tape to protect from dust. Make sure if storing multiple items inside one box; put an inventory of the items outside the box so no small item like a mouse or cable gets discarded by mistake.
Follow these tips when you store flat screen TV’s or electronics and they should remain in top condition.